The First Noel

The First Noel
"Look at that SUN!" Two days ago, the sunset was spectacular. I have seldom seen such a huge orb on the horizon, and it was such a fabulous neon-pinkish-orange color. I watched as it was sinking behind a grove of leafless trees, making breathtaking black silhouettes against a luminous, enormous sky. I am still thinking about how beautiful it was, and I keep telling people about it. It seems like sharing the grandness of that view completes it - makes it better. 

NLA
6" x 6" 
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on Art Bite panel
ready to frame  


Click here to see updated painting and read new blog post.

C. S. Lewis talked about this concept in his writings. "I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. C. S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms" I wholeheartedly agree with this idea! When I am overwhelmed with great beauty, or great thoughts, or great love, I just cannot wait to tell someone. (Maybe Facebook and Blogger and a lot of other social media is successful just because we need to share things to complete our own delight in them.) 

This brings me to this little painting, The First Noel. I cannot really imagine the enormity of GOD becoming man, and the angels' announcement, the star guiding the wise men, the shepherds... but they saw, and they told others. They couldn't keep it to themselves. My soul just swells up and feels like it is too big for my body when I think about this. I know there is no way I can properly communicate what I would like to be able to share, but here is a start. 

The little painting is painted on a damaged, but reworked ArtByte panel. I love the juxtaposition of the black and the shining gold. The textures in the background remind me of the dark landscape the shepherds were in as they kept watch over their sheep at night the night Jesus was born. The splashes of gold and other sparkling texture are the stars, angels, gifts, and the Gift... God among us. 

This passage reminds me of the day of Jesus' birth (though it may not be a direct reference to it):
Isaiah 60:1 - 2 (New American Standard Bible)
“Arise, shine; for your light has come,
And the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
“For behold, darkness will cover the earth
And deep darkness the peoples;
But the Lord will rise upon you
And His glory will appear upon you."

Comments