The First Noel, 2019

The First Noel, 2019
I painted The First Noel in 2016, and there is a good blog post about the original (before the update) painting here. As I read what I wrote when I first worked on this piece, I can see that the some of the same thoughts still carry through. 

6" x 6" 
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on Art Bite panel
ready to frame  

Click here to purchase on my website.

Yesterday, my son shared a song with me that has, surprisingly, been impacting me for two days. It is a metal song, and if you are not a fan of metal music, it will probably not be something you enjoy. It is, admittedly, a bit disturbing. But, as I posted on my personal Facebook page, it tells the Christmas story in a powerful way. "If metal music is offensive to you, you will not appreciate this song, but oh my goodness! I don't listen to a lot of metal, but I keep playing this.

This is Christmas! Not cookies and stockings, but warfare to rescue humanity!

I think this song captures the epic reality of Christmas. Mankind's mundane, hurried wishful thinking, and the spiritual universe being torn apart, ending with Mary's trust... amazing."

I am a white, 50something good church girl. The church where we attend sings mainly hymns. This song is outside of my comfort zone - outside of my demographic. But it is so powerful! 

Humanity wishes for rescue as they go about their daily work. 
At the key moment, a baby cries - GOD Himself tears through time and space to enter earth as a helpless child.
The organ reflects the rising fury of the spiritual forces at this moment.
The angel roars in a powerful voice. 
Herod screams with the demonic voices that empower his horrible actions.
The guitars and drums are a maelstrom.
At the end, Mary sings "Oh, night divine."

Indeed. Sleep in heavenly peace. 

Comments