How Lovely

How Lovely
Once more, the bird theme was my focus as I began studying and preparing to paint this morning. (And once again, it has been too many days since I have had enough time in the studio!)

I have had the theme in mind for quite a while, due to a themed competition coming up near me. I have never attempted to enter something like this, so I am working on several different approaches to consider for the event. 

Today, I first spent some time considering many Scripture passages that mention birds. I was intrigued to find that many focus on the idea of refuge. And many focus on the idea of provision, which in some respects is related. I found so many great passages to meditate on!

Next, I went for a walk on the boardwalk in our town that passes over a swampy area, a wooded area, and opens out along a lake. I  (along with my daughter) watched for birds and studied shapes and 'attitudes'. Wow! I feel like I learned a lot just this morning! 

So here is today's passage - a favorite from when I was young. My uncle and aunt were recording artists and my uncle recorded a song which is almost word for word from these verses. I have always loved that song he sang. I love the picture of being RIGHT THERE where GOD is worshiped, and the joy that brings! 

Psalm 84:1-3 How lovely are Your dwelling places,
O Lord of hosts!
My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the Lord;
My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.
The bird also has found a house,
And the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young,
Even Your altars, O Lord of hosts,
My King and my God.

16" x 20"  acrylic on watercolor paper, 1/2" white edge

Comments