To be absolutely honest...

Sketches made while we traveled in Alaska
You may not have missed me, but my family and I have been gone for the last half of May. So much has happened, and I think the time has come to let you know more of the story. 

I am actually going to start clear back in August of 2018 when I had the privilege of attending a workshop given by Makoto Fujimura. It was a 'bucket list' opportunity for me, and I was so honored to be one of the 15 artists who were accepted for this event. My Beloved Husband and I drove to Cape Cod, and when I returned, exhausted but inspired, I thought, "OK, time to rest a bit and then hit the studio." 


Well, evidently that is not what GOD had planned for me. 

September included two unexpected trips, and when I got home, I prepared to rest, then get into the studio. But during my trip home, I realized a need to spend some time helping my mom downsize, moving from her home of 30-some years to a condo. So starting in October, I traveled to Minnesota once a month to spend some time working on that. (The thing that I should explain is that travel is tough on me, since I have fibromyalgia. I prefer not to dwell on that, but it has become a factor that does effect my life choices.) As difficult as it was working on the downsizing, Mom and I loved spending that time together. It was another privilege. 


photo by my son
About November, my Beloved Husband and I along with our adult kids decided to go on a trip that my BH had wanted to do for years... we signed up to drive a brand new motorhome from Shipshewana, Indiana to Anchorage, Alaska during the last half of May. It took enormous planning, research, and organization. Time off of work was locked in as well as contracts for the camper, the activities, and more. We all started to look forward to this trip, even as we went through the busy holiday season, and I continued traveling to help my mom each month. 


January saw another privilege for me - I was able to attend a Worship Symposium hosted on the Calvin College campus in Michigan. Once again there was a lot of inspiration and encouragement for my artistic practice, and once again I traveled to MN... 

In February, my Beloved Husband's mother had a stroke. If you have followed my blog, you know that his parents were in Florida, and my father-in-law was not able to get along without assistance, so we headed to Florida in a hurry and spent a considerable amount of time helping with hospitalization, rehab, transportation and relocation to a care facility in Indiana, and closing up the Florida residence (to mention a part of our activities.) Though she has recovered quite a bit of physical function, there is still a long road ahead in stroke recovery for my mother-in-law.

Then in April, my father-in-law became ill. We took him to the hospital where he was admitted to the ICU, and then later transferred to a bigger city hospital in their Coronary ICU, and he was there for 3 weeks of intense care and family involvement. (We, as a family, were working together to transport my MIL back and forth to be with my FIL in the hospital daily, among other responsibilities.) During those weeks, his health was improving some days and then really failing some days. 

During that hospitalization, my Beloved Husband had to make the extremely difficult decision as to whether we would go on our Alaska trip or not. As mentioned, we had signed contracts and financial considerations, as well as time off from jobs and airline tickets purchased. The entire family encouraged us to go, since there was not a lot of difference we could make in the care of my FIL.  So we headed out for the wilds of western Canada and Alaska. 


Goodbye Alaska
I don't think it is possible to express the extremes of that trip. We had equipment failures and gorgeous scenery, adventures and difficult telephone conversations, tight quarters and deep, meaningful family interactions. That trip will change our lives - I am sure of it! But three days before we were scheduled to return, my father-in-law passed away. 

So, friends, this past week has been spent in family times of grieving for our loss, celebrating his life and remembering the grace of GOD that provides a way to spend eternity in His presence. 

I have had little time in my studio since last August, and even less time to market, blog, sell, and show my work. To be absolutely honest, this has been extraordinarily difficult, and it may not be changing in the near future. 

My request is that you keep our family in your prayers. I am well aware that many have much more difficult situations, and I question whether posting this whole story is helpful, but I hope it may be helpful to someone, somehow. I especially hope for GOD's peace and strength as we continue on this path. I hope for patience as I wait for HIS timing to return to this passion HE has put in me to paint and express HIS beauty, truth, and goodness. Even as I ask for your prayers, I want to be sure to let you know that HE has provided for us again and again during these days, and has also provided for my painting business through sales of paintings beyond what I could have expected. 

Thanks for all of the love and support many of you have expressed for us.
Coram Deo.
Brenda

Comments