Advent

Advent
My next trip to Minnesota starts at "zero-dark-thirty" tomorrow morning. To tell the truth, it makes me a little tired just thinking about that! This has been a jam-packed winter so far for me, and I am feeling it a bit. But I have to say, I am glad I am able to help Mom with her new pursuits, and I am really enjoying the time with her. 

Since I am travelling more, though, I have not yet done ANY of the Christmas decorating that I usually do at my house. None of it! But it still feels like I should wait... Why is that? Am I waiting like the world waited for justice and peace?

SOLD
6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

Click here to view on my website. 

At the little church we attend, I have the privilege of making "installation art" for the front of our sanctuary. It has been a very rewarding project this past year, and I work with my Beloved Husband when it is time to hang a new project there. I absolutely love what we are doing for this advent season! (By the way, thesaurus.com defines advent as the "beginning or arrival of something anticipated". Isn't that a fabulous definition?) As of right now, all that can be seen from the congregation is a black backdrop. Simple. And stark. And waiting. And it will remain simply black until the Sunday closest to Christmas. It kind of reminds me of having to wait to open Christmas presents... 

On Christmas Sunday... well, you will have to wait too! But I am so excited for the arrival of that day! 

As you can see, (I hope) this painting is another Advent painting about waiting, and it is similar to the last one I posted. I love the darkness and depth of this little painting. To me, the iridescent gold, blue, and red speak of GOD becoming man, and also of Christmas in our time. It makes me think of the song "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", and also this verse:

Isaiah 9:2
The people who walked in darkness
    have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
    on them has light shone.

Comments