Doesn't Match the Couch

Doesn't Match the Couch
Tower Painting
"I don't understand your art. Could you explain it to me?" I don't think she really wanted or expected me to be able to give an explanation. She and I have had interactions for years, and though we get along, we are not on the same page very often. 

Half an hour later, she slipped out of the circle of people who had gathered to hear me explain some things about my work. I suspect she had more than one 'serving' on the 'plate' she expected to be empty! 


Photographing this work, which I have chosen to call a 'tower painting', is tricky for me. The tower is painted on all four sides and on the top, and I love it! :) It is a little rough here and there, since it is my first try at this sort of substrate. I will include a few more photos on this blog post. 


acrylic on wooden tower
43.25" x 6.25" x 6.25"
painted 4 sides plus top, open bottom

Please contact me to purchase and arrange shipping


In my quiet time reading the Bible this morning, I read about King David dancing before the LORD as the Ark of GOD came back into Jerusalem. (2 Samuel 6: 12 - 23) David's wife Michal was unimpressed, and spoke to him sarcastically about his creative expression of the joy he was experiencing. I noticed that King David's response both met the requirements of the authority of a leader, and also showed personal humility. (I would love to meet him someday!) 

I want to be known as a person who chases after GOD's own heart, and maybe part of that comes in showing humility to those who are dismissive or unimpressed with my creative expressions. My hope is that HE is known, and that my joy in HIS presence is what others see. 

2 Samuel 6:21-22 (New American Standard Bible)
"So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the Lord. I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes..."




Art is a form of play rejoicing before the face of God.
The Creative Gift, Hans Rookmaaker

Comments