Another Gift


I think it was the sunset. That was what started it. Last night, the sky was beautiful, and it took me completely by surprise. 
The day had been unseasonably warm, and we actually had a severe thunderstorm warning here in Northern Indiana. (Two days before Christmas!) We had torrential rain during the day, and I did not expect to see any sign of the sun. As I prepared to leave the house for yet another foray into the last minute shoppers, I glanced out the front window of my house, and thought, "Did someone put up a street light clear out here?" The wet road was glowing pinkish gold. 
Drawn to the window, I saw the vista of sky against the darkened woods and fields, and it literally made me pray, and maybe cry a little. "Oh, Father GOD, merry Christmas to You! What a gift!" That magenta sky, the blacked branches and shadowed fields, the shining road... and Christmas lights on the neighbor's house. Oh boy did those twinklers look ridiculous against the Heavenly display. 
A Scrooge, I am not. I love Christmas lights and the creative and sparkling Christmas music that surrounds me this time of year. But that sky

So I could not sleep. I kept thinking about how much GOD loves us. The world, I mean. Every single person in the world. And not in some cold, forever-someday kind of way, but NOW. Even in our mess, and hate, and revenge and wrong. Even in our gloomy predictions and our belligerent attitudes. Even in our despair and hopelessness. HE still sent a new gift last night - such a glorious sky. 

HE wants to rescue us. HE wants to love us and give us the gifts that satisfy our needs and delight us. HE wants me. Incredible. Incredible. 

Comments