Follow the Light

Follow the Light
8" x 10" mixed media on canvas
Follow the Light is the painting I did for Christmas in 2012. I had been selected to test new paints, and this is one of the paintings I did during that test period. 

This painting holds great significance to me and uses different media and techniques to represent different concepts.







SOLD
8" x 10" mixed media on canvas







The overall meaning I wanted to portray with this painting is the meaning of the Christmas story: Christ came into a dark world to rescue.

First, it is significant that the focal point (which is iridescent and a raised, textured surface) is different from all that surrounds it. The focal point represents the manger which contained God Himself, in the person of Jesus Christ.


Next, the dark swirling background is indicative of the darkness and sameness of the mundane. 


The lighter color, and the streams of glossy surface (which are difficult to see in the photo) come from the upper right of the painting and stream down through and over all. This is a representation of Heaven and the Heavenly Father sending His salvation. The gloss medium carries particles of mica, which is a natural element of earth that reflects light. 


There are several other things that I wanted to convey here, but I want to leave some for the eye and mind of the viewer to discover. 

Comments