This Little Light of Mine

This Little Light of Mine
I started This Little Light of Mine as a demo for a recent workshop I taught. It has changed dramatically, which is not uncommon for my paintings as I build layer upon layer. 

$290.00 plus shipping and handling
12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black
Click here to view or purchase on my website.

 As you can see, the composition of the painting includes so many similar shapes that overlap and interfere with one another. My intent was to make each shape interesting with color, marks, occasional sparkle, and interaction with other shapes. At the same time, I wanted to direct the eye of the viewer to one area more than the others – the focal point of the painting. In this area of the painting, there is a combination of the purest colors as well as the highest level of contrast between bright and dark. In my opinion, the focal area of the painting draws the eye from a distance, and then the much more subtle color and textures catch attention as one gets closer to the painting.

With all of the busyness and color and texture, I feel like I have been expressing something, sometimes intentionally, and sometime surprising myself. I notice that I find some of the shapes more appealing, and some not appealing at all. (Though, to be honest, I painted over most of the areas that I found less pleasing!) I notice, too, that the darker shapes allow my attention to be drawn to the bright area, and in fact to the painting as a whole.

When I started this demo painting in the workshop I was teaching, I told the artists there about some struggles with storm damage, a car accident and so on. I told them that I knew these difficulties would show up in my painting whether it was intentional or not, so I might as well make it intentional. I also told them that I wanted it to be a cheerful painting. Well, a little of the overt cheerfulness might be dimmed, but I hope you can still see it. To me, it is significant that it is still there, even though it is hidden to some extent.

Isaiah 43:13 “From eternity to eternity I am God. 
No one can snatch anyone out of my hand.
No one can undo what I have done.”

Comments