A Kiddley Divey

A Kiddley Divey
"Do you have any ideas for a title for this one?" I asked my Beloved Husband, when he got home after work. "Yes," he said, and he started trying to remember the words to the ditty Mairzy Doats. Do you remember that playful take on a nursery rhyme? I remember my Mother singing it to my siblings and me when we were small. 

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?*

$1350.00 plus shipping and handling
30" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

The work started out with the same concept as many of this year's paintings have - "Fear Not". One of the earliest layers had the words Fear Not, and there were a lot of colors and shapes that came to my brush as I worked out some of what was on my mind. There is a LOT of texture, and swatches of iridescent and metallic paint show through in places. It felt heavy and serious to me, but once again, as happened in my painting More Better, and even to some extent in Fear Not Little Flock, the whole painting began to take on a playful feel. 

Well, this made me think about being a child, trusting my parents, and being unafraid. It brought to mind a couple of Bible verses, too - one about Jesus' interaction with little children, and a different one that has been made into a children's song. 

Mark 10:13-15 Some people were bringing little children to Him so He might touch them, but His disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw it, He was indignant and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me. Don’t stop them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you: Whoever does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

Psalm 56:3-4 When I am afraid,
I will trust in You.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not fear.
What can man do to me?

When these children's songs rattle through my mind these next few days, I want to use them to remember: Fear Not.

*In case your mother did not sing and explain this silly song to you when you were young, the words could be sung "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you?"

Comments