Things Unseen


Things Unseen
"My business is practically on life-support," I told a family member as we talked about the last several months. (I know - I don't plan to keep harping on it! But you gotta hear this!) "My website views are way down, I am not painting very often so I have very few new paintings, and I definitely don't have time to market right now." She and I were comparing notes on trying to keep things running as we worked through illness and family responsibilities with aging and ailing parents. "Still, I sold a lot at my open house, and I have been surprised by some other sales lately..." I told her. 

What I didn't talk to her about was how difficult it has been to get back into painting. For most artists, their work is a portrayal of their souls, and when the soul is murky, it can be so difficult to produce new work. I think that discipline - going into the studio every day anyway, and at least TRYING to paint - is important for an artist when the joy of painting is more difficult to find. They say (whoever "they" is) that these bleak days can lead to some of the best work. 

SOLD
12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

Click here to view on my website

Well, I cannot speak to that. At least, not yet. Maybe in 7 or 8 years... But wow! have things turned around for my art business in the last day or two! And it is not because I pushed harder or marketed better or painted when my family needed me elsewhere. It was a completely unexpected result of my daily work as far as I have been able to do it, and more precisely, a GIFT FROM MY HEAVENLY FATHER! 

I mentioned yesterday that I was so excited to learn that my painting has won an award in the huge BoldBrush painting competition. (I was awarded the BoldBrush Award for my painting I Will Arise.) This is a monthly competition that is part of my website hosting service, so I have been entering faithfully each month. Because there are so many paintings entered, I have always been thrilled to be recognized in the FAV15%, which is the favorite 15% of juried paintings, and I am sure I still will be. But it has primarily been a matter of monthly discipline to make sure to select and enter work, since the results of more website traffic, more exposure, and more sales have not been visible. 

What a thrill to see my website traffic today! It may be higher than the cumulative traffic of all of the time I have used this site. And I just realized this morning that my business is no longer "on life-support". I couldn't see what was happening behind the fog of my daily responsibilities and disciplines, but my Heavenly Father was already there with His plan for me. 

Don't misunderstand me, please. We still have tough things to work through, it is still a challenge to paint, and I have not seen thousands of sales. But it is a blessing that reminds me that He has only called me to obedience - to faith. It is a result of doing my work as for the Lord. It is the evidence of things not seen. 

Colossians 3:23-24 (HCSB) Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men,  knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ.

Hebrews 11:1, 6 (HCSB) Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen. ... Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who draws near to Him must believe that He exists and rewards those who seek Him.

Comments