Selah

Selah
When I am in the Psalms during my Bible reading time, I almost feel like I am eating an extremely rich meal. There is so much emotion and often I feel like the psalmist was talking to God in ways that I would like to talk to Him - his prayers are mine, too. But, like a rich meal, I cannot just rush through from one end to the other and still appreciate it. In fact, I might get too much - get a stomach ache - if I don't slow down. 

SOLD
12" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

Click here to view on my website. 


The word selah is a Hebrew word that is not absolutely understood by translators, if I have my facts straight. It shows up quite often in the Psalms, and one of the ways I have heard it to be understood is "pause, stop and think about that for a moment" or something along those lines. One of the things that has been so necessary for me this last while is to pause, stop and think about - so many things. 

It was easy for me to know what I wanted to paint, and even the painting itself seemed to
Selah by my rose bushes
come pretty easily this time. The long format feels to me like a long pause, and the detail and layering is complex and it takes some time to appreciate it. There are layers of different textures, colors, some interference paint (which only shows up in certain lighting), some natural mica flakes, and the process required lots of pausing for layers to dry. It feels just right to me. 


Here is a passage from the Bible that I have memorized (several times - what does that tell you about my memory??).
Psalm 62:4 - 8
My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my Rock and my salvation. My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest. The Rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people. Pour out your heart before Him. God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Comments