Isn't She Lovely?
![]() |
| Isn't She Lovely? |
I stopped because I felt the wind on my face, and I turned into it with my eyes closed to enjoy it. I stood in the sun, feeling the wind, and I heard dry corn leaves rattling, and the gentle roar of wind high up in the leaves in the trees. As I neared the house, I thought of trying to find other beauty that was not primarily visual, and so I picked some leaves from a couple of varieties of mint plants to smell, and then I went to our lilac bushes and reached for the autumn blossoms that grow way up on the top. Oh my goodness! They smell wonderful!
It made me thankful, standing out there and soaking in all that beauty.
But really, why does it matter? Why is it important enough to take the time out of my day to be distracted by what I see and hear and smell and feel? And, in a related question, does my art matter, and if so, why?
36" x 24"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black
Click here to view on my website.
I think that as humans, we cannot help but be drawn by beauty, if we will allow it. In fact, in my opinion, that is why many of us are doom scrolling on our phones or other screens. We are searching for that connection to ... something ... or Someone. Maybe it is a search for beauty, and for connection with the Creator of all beauty.
Beauty is important. Our buildings. Our music. Our meals and our conversations. It is a shame to miss opportunities for beauty, (which probably means my hot dogs for supper idea is out the window!) because true beauty cannot help but point to our Creator. And here, my words definitely fail me as I think about intricate paintings, imaginative music, spectacular meals, complex riddles of science and math, sparkle, warmth, arpeggios, spices, surprising turns of phrase - all so beautiful.
There are Biblical references to beauty that I want to bring into the discussion, too. In the Old Testament, God gave clear, detailed instruction for the building of the Tabernacle and for the Temple - the places where He was worshiped. Those places were packed with beauty for all of the senses. He gave these instructions for the clothing of the priests who would serve there. Make holy garments for your brother Aaron, for glory and beauty. You are to instruct all the skilled craftsmen, whom I have filled with a spirit of wisdom, to make Aaron’s garments for consecrating him to serve Me as priest. Exodus 28:2-3
Later, the psalmist writes,
"I have asked one thing from the Lord;
it is what I desire:
to dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
gazing on the beauty of the Lord
and seeking Him in His temple." Psalm 27:4
Or as it appears in another translation: One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek, inquire for, and [insistently] require: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord [in His presence] all the days of my life, to behold and gaze upon the beauty [the sweet attractiveness and the delightful loveliness] of the Lord and to meditate, consider, and inquire in His temple.
In the New Testament, Paul writes to the Philippians "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things." Philippians 4:8
Well, my new painting really is "about" beauty - about being drawn to something without really having words to tell why, and a reference to veiled beauty. Am I looking through sheer curtains here, blowing in the breeze? Are those shapes moving? Why can't I "read" those marks? I have worked with time-honored principles of art, such as composition, focal point, line, color, value, which have long been recognized as tools to create beautiful works of art.
So many words! But I want you to see why my tired soul was drawn to paint this painting, and how I hope it draws you to contemplate beauty, and ultimately, our Creator, who both made beauty, and is beautiful.


Comments
Post a Comment