The Wind and the Waves

The Wind and the Waves
There was a day in our Door County adventure when I was really struggling. I had a situation which led me to be so very discouraged, and I was discouraged for an entire day. Rats. But my Beloved Husband took me for a drive, and we found a deserted public access site on Lake Michigan. We sat there with the wind driving the waves that crashed on the shore and (as we learned later) kept the kayak tours that normally launch at that site grounded for a day. As the wind blew through my hair, it seemed like it started to clear my mind a bit. I cannot help but wonder whether my Loving Heavenly Father sent that wind to blow away the mess in my mind, and start my refocus. It made me think of this short story in Jesus' life. 

Luke 8:23-25 and as they were sailing He fell asleep. Then a fierce windstorm came down on the lake; they were being swamped and were in danger. They came and woke Him up, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to die!” Then He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waves. So they ceased, and there was a calm. He said to them, “Where is your faith?” They were fearful and amazed, asking one another, “Who can this be? He commands even the winds and the waves, and they obey Him!”

11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on canvas panel
Ready to frame

Later in the afternoon, I read this verse from the New Testament: Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. I am so thankful for this reminder to refocus my heart and thoughts on Jesus. It was exactly what I needed.

I painted the next day (when the wind was much calmer!) at this same boat launch, and it was much busier. I chose to stand to one side of the beach/launch in the shade of a scruffy tree and paint the distant shore line, which I found so fascinating. My large rubber spatcher was my tool of choice, and I painted the entire work with it. It is a nearly 3" wide rubber blade, so it was fun and interesting to try to make smaller marks with it. I actually chose to touch up the painting a bit later with a palette knife and to add the waves from the day before, and hints of rocks and sea gulls on the beach. I think they make it a much more interesting painting. 


Comments