Stavkirke, en plein air
![]() |
| Stavkirke, en plein air |
6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on cradled wood panel
Edges painted black
Of course, part of our week away included some plein air painting! I was thankful for my BH's help with set up and tear down, and just general encouragement as we worked against high heat and bad air pollution from the wildfire smoke in northern Minnesota and Canada. One of the days, the heat and smoke lifted unexpectedly, so I painted this amazing Stavkirke. Here is a quote from a website about this place:
"The mysterious, beautiful, imposing Stavkirke church is one of those places—an off-the-beaten-path destination that takes visitors to the tip of the Door peninsula, across Death’s Door Strait via car ferry, into the woods of Washington Island, and down a short trail to a peaceful clearing where the stately structure stands tall." Click here for more.
The Stavkirke was so beautiful, and the site and interior of the church felt almost reverent. I love that the out-of-the-ordinary beauty was there to focus on the worship of God. I would love to see more beauty and architectural intent in the places where we worship now!


Comments
Post a Comment