Deeper Still

Deeper Still
My return to 4" square paintings was accompanied by nervousness - it has been a while, can I still do this? Honestly, any time I am out of the studio for a while, or doing all one style of painting, I get hesitant to get back to work. 

4" x 4"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on cradled wood panel
Edges painted black

I had just finished this little one and was going through some emails at the end of this work day, when I saw an opportunity to enter a competition with no entry fee. It is hosted by an art supply company with a gift card as an award, and I can always appreciate new art supplies! So I thought I would enter. 


Unfortunately, the theme is eerie paintings. (You would think it is October or something.) While I certainly don't think this painting is eerie, I thought that, if someone saw it with that already in mind, they might. But then I needed to assign it a title for the competition. Well, I couldn't promote many of the things I saw on the site - my desire is to share hope and beauty, after all! But then I remembered "further up and further in" from the Chronicles of Narnia. (Have you read them?) Not exactly eerie, but at least curious. And full of hope and beauty! So I used the title Deeper Still in reference to that concept.

It reminds me of this New Testament verse from my last couple of days or reading. It is most certainly a favorite passage:
John 14:1 - 3 “Your heart must not be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also. 

Comments