Raindrops on the Water

Raindrops on the Water
"We need to schedule some times for me to come to your studio and get some footage," said my friend Marc. Marc is an internationally recognized performance artist, and he is making a documentary film entitled 'The Five' which will be about five artists from our small Indiana town. We all met in Marc's gallery last night to get schedules coordinated and ideas on the table. 

11" x 14"
Painted with acrylic heavy-body paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

We are a diverse group in so many ways! There are two abstractionists, a colorist, a multimedia artist, and an illustrator - three men and two women. We also have very different philosophies about our art, and I expect there to be fascinating perspectives to consider. I feel so honored to be chosen for this project!

As I talked to the multimedia artist, she talked about the inspiration for her recently-awarded painting. She and I talked about our shared love for Jesus Christ, and how He is key to our inspiration for our work. At one point, I pulled out my cell phone to show her my inspiration photos that were taken during my morning quiet time, and this painting that was the response to my thoughts and appreciation for the beauty of raindrops hitting water outside my window. "That painting is beautiful," she encouraged, "especially having understood your inspiration." 

Yesterday I was up very early in my favorite spot of our family room, looking out the huge windows and listening to the rain tap on the sky lights. I was reading my Bible and telling God that I thought His creation was so beautiful. I was overwhelmed watching the absolute beauty of the raindrops hitting the water outside my window. I noticed how the wind made darker and lighter patches of water, how the summer rain clouds and occasional breakthrough sunshine threw color there, and how the drops splashed up with little white ridges on dark water, and dark ridges on the light. It felt like a blessing on my day. 

As I read from Psalm 20, here is a verse that seemed to express those thoughts, even as I worked to schedule our own family activities. With both kids moving and starting new adventures in their lives, and my Beloved Husband heavily involved in a remodeling project at work and my own busy summer art schedule, I needed to be reminded that God has everything in hand, and even takes the time to satisfy my soul and inspire my art! 

 Psalm 20:4 ESV "May he grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans!"

Comments